Monday, January 24, 2011

the waiting game

One thing you have to do a lot of when you are working with contractors and workmen is waiting. One thing I am really bad at is waiting. This morning, for example, I am supposed to receive a call between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. that will inform me what two-hour time slot later today a workman will arrive to measure our foyer for the ceramic tiles we purchased over the weekend. Got that? I am waiting right now for a call that will tell me when I have to wait some more later. I hate this!

I desperately want to take a shower. I want to sort the laundry and throw the first load in the washer - something I can only do after I shower. I want to return my books to the library. I want to go to Target to look for a clock for my bedroom. I want to do all manner of things that I can't do while I am chained to the house, waiting for a phone call.

It seems to me that ever since we moved here I have been waiting for someone. The electrician, the plumber, the guys who delivered the new tv, the guy who came to fix our cable reception, the carpet installers, the guy who came to measure for the carpet installers (!), the guys who came to give me estimates for a new fence - each of them due to arrive at a not clearly defined time that I must, that's right, wait for.

My phone rings - hurray! Is it the measuring guy? No. It is Ben, telling me that for some inexplicable reason, the measuring guy has called him at work to tell him when he will arrive at our house. No matter, now I know that my next period of waiting will begin at 1:00 p.m. It's off to the shower for me!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Poor Anne! I hate to wait for service people too. It's so annoying and frustrating. Sounds like you're making a lot of changes to the house. It'll look great when it's done, I'm sure! Hopefully you'll get a break from waiting soon...

Ben said...

HA haha HAAAAAAH! Why our little waiting is just beginning! We got a really good price from the electrician, so I think worth the wait. The fence tear-down and re-install should be next, then maybe new tile in the foyer. Then more assorted jobs. We got a good price on this house but we knew we were going to have to dump some money back into it. It had only minor updates since it was built in 1970. The unwallpapering and then painting we can do ourselves. Just want to wait till we can open the windows again before I start painting.