Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Day!

I haven't much to say today, but I really couldn't pass up the opportunity to write a Leap Day post. It's not a day that means much to most of us, I know. Eleven leap days ago, I was in junior high, and it was a big deal to us then. We had somehow gotten the idea that February 29th was like Sadie Hawkins Day - a role reversal day when a girl could be so bold as to ask a guy to marry her. Quelle horreur! The Wikipedia entry for "leap day" does not make mention of this custom, so perhaps it was localized to Franklin Junior High School. I don't know. I do know that it was an exciting day for us. For us girls, anyway.

We bold girls roamed the halls asking all the guys we knew (and some we didn't) to marry us. I don't know for certain what the other girls did, but I made sure that my current crush was among those I asked. He said yes! As did all the others. I didn't marry any of them, of course. No one took such an absurb idea seriously. A girl could never ask a guy to marry her. Could she?

3 comments:

MaryPAD said...

Anne,
Did you see the 2010 chick flick Leap Year? Not a great film, but the premise is that in Ireland on Leap Day women can ask men to marry them. I go to anything about Ireland, I guess.
Love that you're back in the blogosphere! Now to prove I'm not a robot.

anne mancine said...

Not being much of a film-goer (no one to go with) I did not see that film, but that is exactly what I am talking about.

Ben said...

Interesting! I've never heard of anything associated specifically with leap day. Other than, you know, pictures on the front page of every newspaper showing a mom with her 12:01 am leap day baby. Did you have Irish friends in Junior High School?